Saturday, February 3, 2024

The Benefits of Keeping a Gratitude Journal

It’s not always easy to find the good during tough days.  

When disappointments collide with heartbreak and losses, it’s easy to say “life sucks” because that’s how you feel in the moment, right?

Recently, I felt like a fat loser because I wasn’t meeting a lot of the milestones I set for myself, like losing weight, so I’ve been feeling low on the self-esteem scale, and in my “woe is me” moment I said, “I don’t even remember the last time something good happened to me” until a couple of days later when a good friend said “Hey how’s that new client of yours? You found one so quickly.” 

I felt like a complete idiot because I forgot about that recent blessing and she was right!  The gig economy is so competitive right now that it takes a couple of months for people to find clients, but I found one in weeks. It’s a major win that I should have remembered because I have a gratitude journal, I just haven’t been consistent.

So, I promised myself to get back to journaling because it helps remind me about the good things in my life even when things are not going according to plan.

If you’re also inconsistent with your gratitude journal or you’re feeling too low to think of anything, below are some methods to help. 

Gratitude Journal Prompts

  1. My favorite blessing is…
  2. I’m proud of myself because…
  3. The last time I laughed so hard was because…
  4. The person who gives me the best advice is
  5. The best advice I’ve been given is…
  6. Describe what a really good day looks like.
  7. I feel strong when…
  8. I feel confident when…
  9. I love my family because
  10. I love my friends because…

If you find those prompts a little difficult, below are some exercises you can practice to get those gratitude juices flowing:

  1. Celebrate the sunshine 
  2. Look forward to your morning’s MVP (coffee, sunrise, you!).
  3. Write a love letter to a song that lifts your spirit and makes you wanna dance like nobody’s watching.
  4. Applause for your brainwave of the day.
  5. Go for a walk and get some “me time”  
  6. Give out hugs
  7. Do something nice for someone else
  8. Read old emails or letters that always make you feel good
  9. Watch an inspiring movie
  10. Pray and list down all the ways your prayers are being answered.

Benefits of Having a Gratitude Journal

Yes, it takes some effort but writing down your blessings in a gratitude journal is a practice. It is an easy-to-use yet effective tool that can make a big difference in your well-being. The following are some advantages of keeping a gratitude diary:

1. Boosts Mood and Happiness 

Like finding a ray of sunshine on a cloudy day, writing down what you’re grateful for brightens your outlook. This simple act can lift your spirits and fill your days with more joy.

2. Reduces Anxiety and Stress 

Watch that balloon filled with worry deflate! That’s what gratitude journaling can do. It shifts your focus from worries to wonders, easing anxiety and melting stress away.

3. Improves Sleep Quality 

Just as a lullaby soothes a child to sleep, jotting down grateful thoughts can lead to deeper, more restful slumber. Write in your gratitude journal before bed, and watch as peaceful nights follow.

4. Increases Feelings of Contentment and Satisfaction 

Like savoring a favorite meal, gratitude journaling helps you appreciate the richness of life. It nurtures contentment, making you feel more fulfilled and satisfied.

5. Helps Build Better Relationships 

Sharing thanks is like watering a plant; it helps relationships grow. When you focus on the good in others, your connections deepen and become more meaningful.

6. Promotes Emotional and Physiological Well-Being 

Just as healthy food nourishes your body, gratitude nourishes your soul. It boosts emotional health and can even have positive physical effects, like a stronger heart and a calmer mind.

You won’t regret keeping a gratitude journal, because it’s a lifesaver! When you find yourself on the struggle bus again, you can pull out your journal and remember that despite life’s struggles, you are blessed. 

Need some inspiration? Check out these quotes about strength!



source https://eyecatchingconfidence.com/the-benefits-of-keeping-a-gratitude-journal/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boomer-Approved: The 10 Best College Majors with No Regrets

Based on graduate satisfaction and killer career options, we’ve cracked the code on the 10 least regretted majors. According to a Federal Re...